Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Magic in the Air

 Cheesy title, I know, I know. But it's the only way I can describe what has been going on lately.

 Let me start with our last Thursday night game on 11/17, my regular night of curling. We were playing a tough opponent. A very good Skip (who also is the coach of the Juniors teams that play out of Rochester), and 3 other decent players. They were also coming into the game with us undefeated. So, I wasn't sure what to expect out of the game. But I left the house and headed over to the club with a positive attitude, and just wanted to have as much fun as possible. But then, something interesting happened on the way to the club...its SNOWED. And I mean real first of the season snow. And to make it ever better, it was Lake Effect snow. The best kind, if you ask me. Now, one thing to know about me is, I LOOOOVE snow. And especially the first snowfalls. So, I was super excited and giddy and silly in the car on the way to the club. And I thought to myself, that it was a good sign for the evening. Well, we all played real well, and we made them absolutely have to make the big shots. So - we won. Not only did we win, we shut them out. We won 12-0. The points went 2 in the 1st end with the hammer, then 3 in the 2nd (W/O hammer), 1 in the 3rd (W/O hammer), 2 in the 4th (W/O hammer), 1 in the 5th (W/O hammer), and 3 in the 6th (W/O hammer). Wow, was all I could say all night. To beat one of the better Skips in our club, and to shut him out, is pretty cool.

 Also that night, I witnessed an 8-ender. Yes, you read that right. We all gathered around the glass and watched the end unfold and it was pretty exciting. The Skip that got it is the man that does the ice at our club, so does that mean he has a little bit of an advantage?? hehe. Funny thing is, before that end, they were behind by quite a few points. 5 or 6 I think. So putting up the 8 was really the only option they had if they wanted a chance at winning the game! They held their little bit of a lead and went on to win.

 Then, two days later, we faced the fine folks from the Niagara Falls curling club. We had a promising mix of players, but since we have never beat NF in the history of the friendly between our two clubs, you never know. I played very well. I had some sweet guards, and my weight was pretty good. There were some wacky spots in the ice, which would make some stones go hay wire, but all in all it was some real good curling. I won both of my games...and as club we did really well. We won, 121-104. Very Nice. It was nice to send the canucks home with the ugly goose trophy. It felt good to have contributed to the win. I was told that my team and I needed to win our 2nd game in order for the club to win. I'm just glad that wasn't figured out and expressed to us BEFORE we went on the ice. Having that in the back of my head would have drove me a little crazy.

 Lastly, I'm happy to report that I am temporarily curling on Tuesday nights now. A team was looking for a female lead to be a perma-sub for the rest of the draw. I like Tuesdays, there is a fun mix of teams. I'm sad to say I can't do Tuesdays after Jan 23rd, since I have a class then. So, for now I'll just soak up as much Tuesdays as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment