Friday, March 11, 2011

Thursdays are pretty cool...when you are undefeated! #%&$!!

 So, last night was one hell of a win. Pretty wild. We won 10-2 in 6 ends. We stole every end, except one.

 To start, we stole 4 points in the 1st end!! When you jump ahead that early, you kind of get a mental breather. And then when people like ME start going off the rails again, you don't worry so much. Yeah, I struggled a bit again last night. My guards weren't too bad, when I had the right weight. Some of them should have been a little deeper, but at least they stayed in play. After the 1st end, the ice got REALLY fast. And all of the sudden I'm throwing airport weight (for those of you that don't know, our club is down the road from the ROC airport and one end of the club faces the airport.) Me! throwing airport weight. WTF. Then I get rattled, and I start making adjustments. And either the adjustments don't work, or they make things worse. ugh. I just need to get out of my own way when I play.

 Fortunately, our Vice* and Skip were really on their game. The two of them came through with some killer shots and putting pressure on the other team to be spot on with their hard shots. Our Vice and Skip kept us afloat in some sticky situations.

 Our skip kept track of our shot percentage again:


3/10/2011
Lead (Me)
50%
2nd 
31.20%
Vice
66.70%
Skip 
75%


 The numbers don't lie, the Vice* and Skip totally carried the rest of the team!! I know my numbers would be a bit better if I could have just figured out the ice a little sooner. As you can see, our 2nd struggled as well. I wonder if the weight and timing of some of my crappier shots were messing with his head a little.

 Our Skip commented on my out-turns vs. my in-turns. Again, this week I had quite a discrepancy between the two. He said my out-turns were pretty good. With my in-turns I tend to push right down the center line (!). After my first shot of one of the later ends, I think I became a little aware of this. I cannot tell you at all WHY I do it, but I am sort of aware of it. Maybe I need to be a little more consistent with my set up, and making sure I have my shoulders and upper body nice and square with the broom. And I have to stop looking down at the rock, damn it! haha. Bad habits are hard to break.

*Full disclosure: Our Vice is my husband, so I might be a little biased. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Hey now, we can't all be perfect all the time. Deal with it.

    ReplyDelete